Monday, July 25, 2011

The scent of paradise

One of the best things I bought when vacationing on Grand Cayman last year was a small pot of coconut-scented hand cream.

I remember sitting in my idyllic vacation apartment, looking through the window at the Caribbean, and thinking my hand cream was the best souvenir because, after getting home, every time I smelled the cream's wonderful coconut scent, I'd be taken back to that time and place.

Horrifically, when I left Cayman, my hand cream was seized by airport security! I stupidly had stuck the cream in my carry-on bag, forgetting that it would be considered a liquid. This despite having practically memorized the TSA rules prior to the trip. It was as if I forgot that the guidelines mattered on the way home!

But the amazing end to this story is that a few months after arriving home in cold, bleak Boston, I decided to e-mail the store where I bought the hand cream, a wonderful little spot called Pure Art. The store's manager, Deb van der Bol, wrote back that she would be happy to mail me some replacement cream. Luckily, she had a friend who was going to be traveling to the U.S. and could mail me the cream for a shipping charge of only $5. What wonderful luck! The hand cream arrived safely a few weeks ago, having been carefully packed in a box with handwritten directions such as "please do not crush" written on most every side.

Every time I use this cream, I'm back at the Harbour View Apartments and Studios, feeling the perfect relaxation and ease that I had every day I was on Cayman. Thank you, Deb, for helping bring back that wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Copyright 2009-2010 by Sasha Sark. Please don't reuse without permission.
"West African Dark Blue Cloth" image is displayed courtesy of the Richard F. Brush Art Gallery at St. Lawrence University.